What is the visa to stay in Japan for international students who have not found a job after graduation?


If you are an international student who is currently struggling to find a job, please read it.


I am a Filipino student at a vocational school in Tokyo. I plan to graduate in March 2021 and I am looking for a job. Due to the effects of the new coronavirus, there are few job opportunities and I am very worried that I may not be able to find a job before I graduate.

If I can’t find a job, is there any other way but to go back to my country? I heard that there is a visa that allows you to stay for six months or a year even if you don’t find a job by the time you graduate. Also, is there any way to stay in Japan even if I can’t find a job?


If you are unable to find a job after graduation and wish to continue your job hunting activities, you can apply for a “Designated Activities Visa”, which allows you to stay in Japan for a period of up to one year. Currently, due to the effects of the new coronavirus, it is possible to extend your period of stay beyond one year if you continue to engage in employment activities!

Purpose of the Designated Activities Visa

Now, in order to obtain this visa, let’s first understand the purpose of this visa. The purpose of this visa is to provide opportunities for “international students” attending Japanese universities, graduate schools, vocational schools, etc., who are “recommended by the school” to “continue” their job search after graduation.

What you need to know to apply for a Designated Activities Visa

If the student is suitable for the purpose, he or she will be allowed to do so after fulfilling the following necessary conditions and submitting documentary evidence.

① To graduate from school

First, you need to graduate from school. You must not drop out of school. If you are attending a vocational school, you must obtain a professional license upon graduation. You will need a certificate of graduation and a transcript.
② Continuously looking for a job

You must have been continuously job hunting. As evidence of this, it is important to keep the entry sheets you sent to the company, the materials you received at the information sessions, and the interview notices. Even if you are not hired, please do not tear them up and keep them in a safe place. If you have received notices of job fairs or interviews via e-mail, print out all of them. A copy is fine to submit to the Immigration Bureau.
③ To be able to use what you have learned in your job search

It is important that what you have learned at the university or vocational school can be applied to the job you are seeking. Graduates of vocational schools are screened especially strictly for this. In other words, even if you get a job, it will be meaningless if you cannot change your visa status to a "Technical/Humanities/International Services" visa.
④ What the school will recommend

The school must recommend you to continue your job search after graduation. Please check with your school's International Student Center and get a letter of recommendation.
⑤ Do you have savings or other funds to continue your job search

Do you have savings or money sent home to cover expenses and living costs during your job search. It is also important that you have savings and support from your parents and relatives. You must be able to continue your job search properly without depending on a part-time job. You will need to submit your bank passbook and proof of remittance to the immigration office. This visa also allows you to work up to 28 hours per week, but you should not have to work more than that to make ends meet.
⑥ Must be in compliance with the Permission to Engage in Activity Other Than That Permitted Under The Status of Residence Previously Granted

You have not worked more hours than permitted by the Permission to Engage in Activity Other Than That Permitted Under The Status of Residence Previously Granted
That’s about it.

How to stay in Japan other than with a visa for Designated Activities

The only other way to stay in Japan is to meet the requirements for a visa other than the “Technical/Humanistic/International Services” visa. It should be noted that the majority of graduates from Japanese universities often switch to a “Technical/Humanistic/International Services” visa after they find employment.

Some of them, after graduating from a Japanese school, want to establish a company in Japan and start a business. The appropriate visa would be a “Business Manager” visa. I’ll explain more about the “Business Manager” visa in detail.

I’m sure it’s been difficult to find a job due to the new coronavirus, but I wish you all the best in your job search! If you have any concerns or questions, please feel free to contact me anytime.

If you have any concerns or questions, please contact me at any time. I sincerely hope that you will be able to be active in Japan!

go to page top